Saturday, January 19, 2013

Where Watermelons Grow

Hey Everyone!

We are super excited to announce a new line of jewelry we are carrying in the shop called, Where Watermelons Grow, by our friend Sarah.  It's all handmade pieces that are absolutely beautiful and unique.  As I'm sure you all know, we take pride in selling one of a kind locally made items, whether it be skateboards, T-shirts, or prints, and her jewelry definitely fits the bill.  Her prices are insanely reasonable (ranging from $15-$32) We did a little interview with Sarah to put a face behind the art!



Why do you make jewelry?
Jewelry is a way for me to express myself artistically. It is an awesome feeling to have someone else appreciate your artwork and to be able to share it with them.

Do you surf?
Yes, I started surfing about two years ago. It has been a great  way for me to enjoy the ocean year round. This past summer I moved to Massachusetts where mellow point breaks prevail. It's been good for keeping my toes on the nose as much as possible. 

Does surfing inspire your jewelry?
Definitely. The idea for the design and style of each piece reflects my lifestyle. The color scheme is inspired by natural earth tones. I also like to incorporate some of natures more vibrant colors, like the blue hues of the ocean or the coral pink of the setting sun. Every piece is unique yet still portrays a similar theme. 

Why did you choose to sell to Natures Shapes?
I want to promote my designs and the best way to do that is to market my jewelry to people who share similar interests and style.

She also adds; 
I started creating and selling my own jewelry as a little girl when summering with my family on Fire Island. It began with macramé necklaces and friendship bracelets sitting atop a sandy beach towel draped over a weathered bench. My jewelry has come a long way since then and yet still reflects that simple pace of the beach life. 



Most of my supplies come from recycled jewelry, antique stores, travels, family and friends. This wide variety of materials is what makes my jewelry one of a kind. I hope that you enjoy wearing my jewelry as much as I enjoy creating it.


        Remember, Valentines Day is Thursday, February 14! Don't get stuck in the dog house, and pick up something for your better half.  (Rebecca may even wrap it for you!) 

With love,

Natures Shapes



No comments: